the description below is for the Cumberland HCP position:
Cumberland Habitat Conservation Plan project (www.cumberlandhcp.org)
Americorps Service Position Title: Outreach Assistant
Immediate supervisor: Jennifer Gihring, Outreach Coordinator
Location: University of Tennessee, Knoxville – Agriculture Campus
The Cumberland Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP) project involves a partnership among Cumberland Plateau communities (Cumberland, Morgan and Scott counties and the cities of Crossville and Wartburg) to find a balance between economic growth and conservation of endangered species. Developing a HCP is a collaborative process with partners including city and county governments noted above, state agencies, developers, utility districts, and watershed associations. The HCP partnership is supported by a project team comprised of staff from The Nature Conservancy, the University of Tennessee-Knoxville, and Tennessee Technological University in Cookeville, TN.
The main goal for this position is to assist the outreach coordinator and stakeholders in developing and implementing strategies to promote the goals of the Cumberland HCP. This position will be based in Knoxville, TN, but will involve frequent travel to the Cumberland Plateau.
· Work with the Outreach Coordinator, HCP Project Team, and stakeholders to develop and implement outreach strategies.
· Work closely with the Cumberland County University of Tennessee Extension Agent and City of Crossville stormwater coordinator to promote the Tennessee Yards and Neighborhoods (TYN) Program within Cumberland and Crossville. Specific tasks may include:
o giving presentations to neighborhood associations, garden clubs, etc. regarding TYN practices;
o working with landowners, TYN staff, and HCP staff to implement pilot low impact development projects; and
o assist with development of landscaping guidelines that meet the goals of the TYN program and the HCP.
· Assist with the following activities:
o develop and implement educational programs for multiple audiences;
o develop education and outreach tools such as brochures, articles, and videos;
o communication activities such as newsletter development, maintaining web site, stakeholder meeting preparation and minutes;
o develop an educational display and represent the HCP at local stakeholder events such as the Crossville Sustainability Fair and Wartburg Discoveryfest; and
o HCP team project management, meeting facilitation, and minutes.
· Network with a variety of agencies and groups such as Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation, Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, Obed Watershed Community Association, Cumberland County Home Builders Association, and local government offices.
· Minimum of 4-year college degree.
· Strong writing skills.
· Organizational skills.
· Willingness to speak in public.
· Ability to be a self-starter and quickly learn complex subjects.
· Ability to communicate in situations where diverse and sometime conflicting ideas are shared.
· Basic knowledge of natural sciences such as ecology, horticulture, landscape architecture, environmental science, or related fields.
· Appreciation for variety of ways people relate to the natural environment.
· Appreciation for collaborative processes.
· Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft office software.
· Knowledge of—or willingness and aptitude to learn--website design principles, techniques, and Dreamweaver software.
The above functions may be completed with or without accommodations. The description lists the minimum duty requirements. Individuals may be required to perform additional positions duties as requested by their supervisor. Positions are open to all people based on qualifications and will be treated equal with out regards to race, color, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, handicap, religion, sexual orientation or union affiliation.